For the pate:
For cranberry and orange sauce:
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place butter in saucepan with chopped onion, crushed garlic, sliced celery, paprika and chopped thyme leaves and rosemary.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms, soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and stir in almonds and sliced spring onions so that the pate is a fairly firm consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out each defrosted pasty into a large rectangle.
- Place half of the mushroom pate in the middle of each pastry in long sausage shape, leaving a few centimetres on either side (you can pile the pate up fairly high).
- With a sharp knife, cut out squares of pastry from each corner, so it resembles a cross shape, cutting almost to the edge of the pate en croute.
- Brush the edges with a little of the beaten egg to ensure that the pastry stays together when cooked.
- Pull the shortest edges over the pate, then pull the long sides of the pastry over and pinch together forming an attractive ridge along the middle. Continue with the other rectangle of puff pastry.
- Brush both with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.Cranberry and Orange Sauce
- For the sauce, place all the cranberries, orange juice, castor sugar and star anise together in a saucepan.
- Cook until soft.